By Hidemitsu Takahashi
1. record of figures, pics; 2. checklist of tables, pxi; three. Abbreviations, pxiii; four. Acknowledgments, pxv-xvii; five. 1. creation, p1-20; 6. 2. gazing English imperatives in motion, p21-56; 7. three. The which means of the English significant, p57-92; eight. four. Accounting for the various findings in bankruptcy 2 and the alternative among imperatives and oblique directives, p93-119; nine. five. combined vital structures: Passive, revolutionary, and perfective imperatives in English, p121-135; 10. 6. Conditional imperatives in English, p137-171; eleven. 7. English imperatives in concessive clauses, p173-196; 12. eight. jap imperatives, p197-219; thirteen. nine. Conclusions and clients, p221-224; 14. References, p225-236; 15. facts resources, p237; sixteen. identify index, p239-240; 17. topic index, p241-242
Read or Download A cognitive linguistic analysis of the English imperative : with special reference to Japanese imperatives PDF
Best grammar books
Systematic research of the discourse-functions of clefts and pseudo-clefts, offering info at the frequency of those structures in numerous genres, and combating the `tidying-up' present in examples devised by means of the linguist.
This monograph examines advanced phrases -- compounds and people regarding derivational and inflectional affixation -- from a syntactic viewpoint that encompasses either the constitution of phrases and the process of principles for producing that constitution. the writer contends that the syntax of phrases and the extra accepted syntax related to kin between phrases has to be outlined through discrete units of rules within the grammar, yet however that note constitution has a similar basic formal houses because the better syntactic constitution and is generated by way of an identical type of rule process.
This quantity units out to supply a finished description of the grammar of Gooniyandi, a non-Pama-Nyungan language of the southern-central Kimberley area of Western Australia. It covers phonetics and phonology, be aware word and clause constitution, and the semantics of closed-class grammatical goods.
- Grammar sucks : what to do to make your writing much more better
- Syntax and Semantics of Spatial P
- Interdependence of Diachronic and Synchronic Analyses (Studies in Language Companion)
- A Course In Generalized Phrase Structure Grammar GPSG
Additional resources for A cognitive linguistic analysis of the English imperative : with special reference to Japanese imperatives
133) b. Just tell me what you did with the brief. (Pelican, p. 135) c. Look, Darby, tell me where you want to meet right now, … (Pelican, p. 212) Chapter 2. Observing English imperatives in action d. Tell me what he’s doing. e. Well, tell us what’s happening. (Pelican, p. 394) (Sky, p. 306) Given these data, the combination tell me~ can be considered a highly conventional means for allowing the speaker to obtain the type of information he or she needs directly from the addressee. ” (13c) and so on.
First, the English imperative is most frequent with the verbs let’s, tell, and let – more than 100 tokens (out of 1774), followed by look (98 tokens). The next most frequent are such common verbs as come, get, take, be, go, give, do, forget, listen, wait, and make. Second, some imperative verbs or verb phrases are frequently used as interjections or discourse-organizational markers, as in let’s say, let me guess, look, listen, and come on (or c’mon) as well as believe me and trust me. Third, the motion verb come seems severely limited as to metaphorical usage in imperatives, although this verb generally abounds in metaphor in declaratives (cf.
Sky, p. 41) [Clergyman to a young girl seeking help] “Father, Tim,” he corrected her with a grin. ” “Let’s go talk somewhere,” he said calmly, weaving in and out of half a dozen children chasing each other around the main lobby. (Malice, p. 216) c. “Hope you didn’t run into much trouble getting Monday off,” Sheridan said. ” (Deception, p. 107) d. Rachel suggested, “There’s a marvelous restaurant called the Straits of Malaya. ” As if she really cares. ” Jeff smiled. “Fine. ” Rachel said, “it’s only a few blocks from here.